Voyages of the Cornucopia

This is a visual and textual log of the our 1973 Finnsailor 35 purchased on June 29, 2006. We would like to share this with our friends and others who are interested in our sailing experiences and live aboard lifestyle.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Transport to Bridgeport



Bob created this map to show our journey from Winthrop to Bridgeport. We had already sailed this route in our Coronado 25, April 15-22. This transport took 4 days to complete or half the time of the first Wintrop-Bridgeport experience.

July 13 -- Winthrop to Wings Neck

John the broker who sold us Cornucopia mentioned that people would probably have many questions about her because she is so unusual. However when we anchored at Wings Neck on the west side of the Cape Cod Canal, we had quite a different experience. A Canadian yacht circled us and then came close along side. The captain called out in a strongly accented voice to say, "Finnsailor! We know her. We're from there."

Wings neck was another first for me. After dinner I went on the foredeck to try out my new fishing rod. I caught a gorgeous flounder which Bob wrestled to the deck for me. Unfortunately I was caught up in fisherman's euphoria and failed to get a photo. You'll just have to believe this fish story.

July 14 Wings Neck to Newport

When we made the passage from Wings Neck to Newport in April, we were the only sailing vessel in sight. That should tell you something! We were the only ones crazy enough to risk the unpredictable April weather along the New England coast. In July the waters of Buzzards Bay are littered with every kind of boat imaginable. Newport was a frenzy. Powerboaters zoomed by leaving wakes in every direction. I think this is from ignorance. Surely no one would be so unthinking of others' safety as to leave a 6 to 10 foot wake capable of swamping canoes, kayaks, and smaller sailboats.

This was a day of rough seas building in the afternoon.

July 15 Newport to New London

During the middle of the afternoon, we saw gulls circling above jumping fish. I thought this was a perfect time to throw line out. Sure enough, a ten pound sea bass grabbed the bait. Again I was elated at the catch, and you'll just have to believe me.

This was another rough, long day. Bob as usual was on the helm. He is intent on his objectives. I find a sailing day longer than 6 hours wearing in the extreme. I implored him to stop at New London instead of continuing on a little farther to a mooring we had used in April. He reluctantly agreed, and after one attempt at anchoring in an area with poor holding ground, we picked up a mooring ball and spent a restful night.

July 16 New London to Bridgeport

The day was hot but nice as I steered Cornucopia into Bridgeport Harbor where we anchored just off of Tongue Point. Seeing a 35' yacht in this part of Bridgeport Harbor is most unusual. People on the shore were watching as Bob and I rowed to land in the inflatable. Our condo is only a couple of blocks from Tongue Point. Bob returned to the boat just in case the anchor didn't hold. I walked home to discover that the automatic security gate was in place and working, but I didn't have the code. Fortunately another condo owner was coming in from a bike ride and opened the gate. He had seen Bob and me come to shore and commented we reminded him of the Bahamas where yachties are a common site. I figure he must have an overactive imagination to draw any comparison between Bridgeport and the Bahamas.

After a long, long shower, I prepared dinner to take back to the boat. Just before leaving the condo, I gave Bob a call on the cell phone, so he would be on shore when I got there. We enjoyed our homemade spaghetti sauce and pasta. The Port Jefferson Ferry coming and going was the only interruption to an otherwise quiet night under anchor. For more information on Tongue Point and Bridgeport, click on the following link
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lighthouse.cc/tonguepoint/TONGPC1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lighthouse.cc/tonguepoint/pc1.html&h=262&w=400&sz=30&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=tnrNGfoQdaP30M:&tbnh=81&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtongue%2Bpoint%2B%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official_s%26sa%3DG

July 17 Tongue Point to Ryan's Marina

A bascule bridge and I-95 bridge span Yellow Mill Channel where Ryan's is located. I had already alerted Joe Ryan that we would be coming in at low water in the morning. I had also made an appointment with the bridgetender for an opening. This must be the only place in the U.S. where an appointment 24 hours in advance is required for a bridge opening. All was ready, we were lined up, and the bridge didn't open. Bob called on the radio while I punched in numbers on the cell phone, trying to get the bridge operator's attention. Cornucopia isn't very maneuverable and doesn't hold still, wanting to turn off the wind. One prop makes turning much more difficult than for dual prop boats. Finally the bridge opened, and we were through. Then the I-95 bridge loomed ahead. It has a 39' clearance. The top of the mast is 39' from the water. Since we were at low tide, we knew we were safe to go under. Still this all makes me very anxious, and I hold my breath and close my eyes until the bridge is completely behind us. Joe is on the dock and ready to catch the line. Once the fenders are out and the lines secured I feel the adrenalin subside and begin the routine after-docking tasks. For us number one job is making coffee. Second is collecting dirty laundry and preparing to go ashore. Bob shuts down all the mechanical systems and double checks the lines and adds a springer.

In retrospect the transport was simple. I just don't like pushing to make distance, preferring leisurely days. Motoring also is annoying to me. I don't care for the noise, and I always want to put the sails up.

A friend once told me that men love the physics and engineering of sailing and women love the ambiance and mood. I think she is right. I also think that sailing is flying with a cloth wing rotated 90 degrees. What I do know is that for successful living aboard, everyone must be able to do every job. I enjoy plotting and holding a course. I enjoy finding our location on a chart. I enjoy having the comforts of home and yet having a different view each day. When I return to land, I am always overwhelmed by the sensory input of the city. Most of this is negative...noise and smells and frantic activity. Live aboard life is minimalist, paring away the useless and the frivolous. The basics for health and happiness are there. A person only has to focus to realize this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home